Bring on the April Fool’s jokes! This day has become synonymous with the major search engines and other Internet properties playing April Fool’s jokes. What do we have so far?
- Google Romance – Google Romance is a place where you can post all types of romantic information and, using our Soulmate Search™, get back search results that could, in theory, include the love of your life. Then we’ll send you both on a Contextual DateTM, which we’ll pay for while delivering to you relevant ads that we and our advertising partners think will help produce the dating results you’re looking for.
- Ask’s RhymeRank – Ask.com announced today the introduction of RhymeRank, an innovative search technology capable of producing related search results that rhyme with a searcher’s original query.
- Slashdot Changes Design – “Our marketing department has done extensive research over the last 3 quarters and discovered that our audience is strangely disproportionately skewed towards males. Like, 98.3% males to be precise. To correct this oversight, we have decided to subtly tweak Slashdot’s design and content to widen our appeal to these less active demographics.”
- Jeremy Zawodny and Matt Cutts Trade Places – That’s right. Jeremy will now go to work for Google and Matt has decided to work for Yahoo.
- MSN Search Spoof Page – “MSN Search celebrates April Fool’s with the return of Spoof, the parody tool that uses fake (but hilariously accurate) search results to gently mock friends, bosses, or people who just need to be teased.”
- China Buys Controlling Stake in Google – “The People’s Republic of China has acquired a controlling stake in the United States’ fastest growing technology company, Google. Google announced the transfer of 140m shares of Class B stock to a new entity owned by the Chinese Ministry of Information in typically forthright style.”
And my favorite thus so far…
- Yahoo’s Lead Story – New York City bans talking on all subways. This is in video format on the top right side of home page provided by Sierra Mist and it is a classic.Added: The video is no longer available. If you missed it then you missed a funny one. I have a couple of screenshots below but that is it. If anyone comes across an actual link to it, please let me know.
Happy April Fool’s Day!