Mixx announces today that they are taking their mantra of ultra-personalization to a whole new level with the launch of Mixx Communities. These Communities, described as “Mixx Groups on steroids,” are much like the Groups function you may or may not already be using, however Communities allows you to “customize” by importing an image header and/or logo, choosing a custom color scheme, and determining specific topics and categories to include. They are almost like custom Mixx sites within the larger Mixx portal.
Mixx Communities will have the same benefits as a Mixx Group, with a a lot more bells and whistles! New features include:
- Prominently placed space for your editorial and/or promotional content
- A sub-domain name (i.e., yourname.mixx.com)
- The ability to import existing tags—this means that as soon as you’ve finished your set up, your Community will already have content
- The ability to embed video through YouTube and MetaCafé
The members of your Mixx Community also get some pretty cool benefits:
- A more customized experience
- More prominent message boards
- The ability to take part in polls that relate to your group’s message
- Karma points earned in the community are automatically added to their general Mixx karma pool
(NOTE: Karma points are only added if the content is exclusive to the Community.)
- Improved comment following: Read the comments on a particular story across all groups, both public and private, that you are a member of.
If you have an existing group, you can upgrade it into a Community. For example, we just upgraded our “Disneyland News” group with the click of a button.
Sound pretty cool so far? Well that’s not all. Mixx Communities will be displaying Google AdSense ads so they can actually earn some revenue off ads that are clicked on within your community. This sounds like a great idea to me as I want Mixx to be able to earn revenue. However, Mixx is not keeping all that revenue but has so graciously decided to share it with Community owners.
Mixx Communities will allow users to participate in a revenue sharing program made possible by Mixx’s integration with the Google AdSense API. If you already have a Google AdSense account, all you have to do is allow Mixx to link to it through a quick and easy authorization process. If you do not have an AdSense account, there is a link within Community management that will allow you to create one.
Well, I’m off to play around with this feature more as well as to convert our other groups into communities.