It’s hard to believe that Mixx is already one year old. The better-than-Digg- alternative to Digg has experienced a lot of growth in that time as well. Thanks to the growing Mixx community, they have seen the number of visitors grow 500%. Mixx now gets more than 4 million unique visitors each month!
In a post on the official Mixx blog, the social news site is happy to remind its community why it is different from the other guys out there.
- Community: The best on the web… ‘nuff said.
- Tags: The world can’t be shoved into seven categories. It just can’t. By offering free-form tags, Mixx encourages users to create their own categorization of the world. And boy, have they—700,000 tags and counting!
- Personalization: YourMixx page, built around tags, allows users to personalize their media consumption experience to save time and shortcut one to the information.
- Breaking News: In a world where news is traveling faster every day, users don’t want to be left out of the conversation. This is why Mixx allows SuperMixxers to spread the word faster with the Breaking News feature.
- Related Content: Social media is plagued by duplicate submissions and accusations of “stolen” submissions. At Mixx, they give everyone the chance to promote different viewpoints and minimize duplication with their Related Content feature, again, allowing Mixxers to cut right to the information that matters most to them.
- Responsiveness: Mixx staff goes out of their way to be responsive to the Community. Why? Because every day, they are thankful that we are there. Mixx understands that we have lots of choices on the web and is glad that we have chosen them. Therefore they feel it is their responsibility to live up to that choice and make sure it’s one we want to make every day.
Along with the celebration of their one year birthday, Mixx has rolled out some birthday goodies.
Gettin’ Widgety With It
Mixx is proud to announce the release of a super duper flux capacitor, otherwise known as the Mixx widget. In just a few easy steps, Mixxers can create a widget for their site to pull in the most recent popular stories based on the tags or categories they’re interested in.
There is also the flexibility to customize the widget. Want to make it 500 pixels wide? No problem. Want to change the color? Piece of cake—choose from three standard themes or go a little crazy with the unstyled version. Want to only display the titles of the story? Yep, you can do that too. Mixx has designed the widget with users in mind every step of the way which is how they are able to give Mixxers a rock solid widget that will continuously provide the most up to date content based on what they chosen to display.
In conjunction with Searchme, Mixx is proud to announce that the Mixx searchme toolbar is now available for download. In this first version, the toolbar has a Mixx It button that allows users to submit any site to Mixx. It also has the latest headlines from Mixx built right into one of its stacks.
An Early Holiday Gift
Finally, Mixx staff is running a poll for their Mixxers to help them determine the Year Two Roadmap. Rather than select submissions themselves, they are making a commitment to do the top three features as selected by Mixxers. Simply vote in the next 2 weeks! They promise to work these in around the items they already have on the Roadmap so by the time 2009 arrives, they will have some great new stuff.
Good stuff! Happy birthday, Mixx and may you continue to experience rapid growth so you can celebrate many future birthdays as well. Be sure to check out our Mixx profile to see what we are mixxing here at SearchRank.