Rand has done it again with his recent post “21 Tactics to Increase Blog Traffic“, a list of some of the most common pieces of advice on driving traffic to blogs. Honestly, Rand Fishkin of SEOmoz is one of the best I know in the business of attracting link bait. I’m going to start calling him The Link Bait King. Here he not only provides sound advice on increasing blog traffic, but has created another reason to link to his own site.
Here is the list in short but you’ll have to pop on over to his blog for the juicy details. Hats off to you Rand for another quality resource!
- Choose the Right Blog Software (or Custom Build)
- Host Your Blog Directly on Your Domain (very important – branding & control)
- Write Title Tags with Two Audiences in Mind
- Participate at Related Forums & Blogs
- Tag Your Content
- Launch Without Comments (and Add Them Later)
- Don’t Jump on the Bandwagon
- Link Intelligently
- Invite Guest Bloggers
- Eschew Advertising (Until You’re Popular)
- Go Beyond Text in Your Posts
- Cover Topics that Need Attention
- Pay Attention to Your Analytics
- Use a Human Voice
- Archive Effectively
- Implement Smart URLs
- Reveal as Much as Possible
- Only One Post in Twenty Can Be Linkbait
- Make Effective Use of High Traffic Days
- Create Expectations and Fulfill Them
- Build a Brand
There is good stuff there in between the lines, something of which Rand normally charges $400 an hour for. So grab yourself a cup of coffee (or a beer), read and apply!